In the News
'The discourse is unhinged': how the media gets AI alarmingly wrong
Social media has allowed self-proclaimed ‘AI influencers’ who do nothing more than paraphrase Elon Musk to cash in on this hype with low-quality pieces. The result is dangerous.
Beijing’s big brother tech needs African faces
"Zimbabwe is signing up for China's surveillance state, but its citizens will pay the price."
Also in the news...
- ACLU says Amazon's face recognition Falsely matches 28 members of Congress with mugshots. More than anything else, this is a reminder that face recognition through neural networks is probabilistic by nature and must be handled correctly (Amazon says ACLU did not use a proper threshold). More
- Pentagon said to be preparing major AI strategy this summer. More
Hiring? Looking for a job?
I am listing open positions in A.I. / M.L. here. Feel free to submit open positions here!
- Lead Solutions Strategist - Manufacturing or Retail/CPG @Element AI, Toronto or Montreal
- Senior Software Engineer, Semantic Scholar @Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence, Seattle
- Research Scientist @Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence, Seattle
- Deep Learning Engineer @Brighter AI Technologies, Berlin, Germany
Natural Language Processing is Fun!
Introduction to NLP: sentence segmentation, tokenization, speech prediction, lemmatization, stop word identification and dependency parsing.
Program Synthesis in 2017-18
Great overview of recent advances in Program Generation.
Evolutionary algorithm outperforms deep-learning machines at video games
Neural networks have garnered all the headlines, but a much more powerful approach is waiting in the wings.
An opinionated introduction to AutoML and Neural Architecture Search
AutoML and Neural Architecture Search — where you let the algorithms choose and optimize neural networks' architectures and hyperparameters — are two hot topics right now. Some people like Jeff Dean even claim that they will help replace machine learning expertise with raw computational power.
Software tools & code
Measuring abstract reasoning in neural networks
DeepMind introduces an abstract reasoning dataset similar to some tasks found in human IQ tests.
Google announced a specialized TPU chip for edge devices. Still waiting for details on performance.
The ethics of computer science: this researcher has a controversial proposal
Nature talks to Brent Hecht, who says peer reviewers must ensure that researchers consider negative societal consequences of their work.
Why is Google Translate spitting out sinister religious prophecies?
Turns out that repeating the word "dog" many times led Google's neural networks to perform fun (some say creepy) translations.
This newsletter is a collection of AI news and resources curated by @dlissmyr. If you find it worthwhile, please forward to your friends and colleagues, or share on your favorite network!
Share on Twitter · Share on Linkedin · Share on Google+
Suggestions or comments are more than welcome, just reply to this email.