Welcome to AI weekly, a newsletter with a selection of top news and resources on A.I., Deep Learning, and Machine Learning.
Forward this email to your friends and colleagues and help them stay on top! Subscribe here.
In the News
Google: Our Assistant will trigger the next era of AI
"The company’s scientists think its new AI-based factotum will be the biggest thing since search. Welcome to The Transition."
Also in the news...
- Researchers at Shanghai university are shocking the world with this paper where they use Deep Learning to explore correlations between someone's appearance and criminality. More
- Samsung is building its own AI assistant for the Galaxy S8. More
- Baidu self-driving cars begin public tests in Wuzhen, China. More
- Google releases improvement to its Translate tool. Accuracy bump said to be greater than what was achieved over last 10 years. More
- DeepMind and Blizzard to release StarCraft II as an AI research environment. More
- Dr Fei-Fei Li, a Stanford faculty member who did pioneering work in Deep-Learning such as Image-Net is taking a full-time position at Google. The wave of departures from academia continues, possibly posing a threat to academic reasearch.
Hiring your 1st Chief AI Officer
Andrew Ng on why you should create a Chief A.I. Officer role in your company, even if AI isn't part of your core business.
RAISR sharp images with Machine Learning
Google blog post on their RAISR neural network to upscale images. Unfortunately it seems they are not open-sourcing it.
Hierarchical object detection with Deep Reinforcement Learning
Method for performing hierarchical object detection in images guided by a deep reinforcement learning agent. The agent zooms in on the information-rich parts of the image.
Software tools & code
Delivering real-time AI in the palm of your hand
Facebook is bringing Caffe - the popular deep learning library - to mobile phones. Mobile phones come with their own set of challenges: apply neural networks to video streams without a big fast GPU.
Interactive deep convolutional networks features visualization
NVIDIA is bullish on AI, and successful right now
- Nvidia surpassed market expectations for the last quarter ($2B sales vs $1.7B expected). More
- Nvidia CEO says Tesla's self-driving tech is "5-years ahead" and that self-driving will be solved in 2017
GPUs on Google Cloud Platform
Google announced new GPU instances for its Cloud Platform. Three GPU models will be available: Tesla P100s, Tesla K80s and AMD Firepros. Reminder: Amazon announced new GPU instances two months ago and so did Microsoft Azure in August.
Online demonstration of neural networks recognizing doodles that you draw with your mouse or finger. By Google.
This newsletter is a collection of AI news and resources curated by @dlissmyr. If you find it worthwhile, please forward to your friends and colleagues, or share on your favorite network!
Share on Twitter · Share on Linkedin · Share on Google+
Suggestions or comments are more than welcome, just reply to this email.